Thursday, November 29, 2012

My Mama's Cranberry Relish

This year for Thanksgiving I brought the cranberry relish.  Usually, this is my mom's usual contribution, but I was glad for the chance to learn this family recipe that has made an annual appearance as long as I've been alive. It a simple twist on traditional cranberry relish. I like the freshness and texture that it brings to the table. It's also a great addition to a leftover turkey sandwich. 

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooling time: 1 hour
Serves: 10-12
Cost: Approx. $5.00


1 lb of deli cranberry relish (I prefer Marsh groceries) : $3.99
2 small packages of dark cherry jello ($1.00)
1 stalk of celery cut finely ($.10)
1-2 apples cut into cubes ($.50)
1/2 cup of pecans ($.50)
1 cup boiling water


Dissolve jello in 1 cup of boiling water. Add to cranberry relish and stir well. Stir in nuts and apples. Let set 1 hour. Serve cool.


No comments: