Thursday, March 6, 2008

Creamy Oatmeal


A healthy, hearty breakfast makes a big difference in this house. We were recently given some Irish cut oats. They were good, but took forever to cook. Then I found this recipe....

Prep Time: 12 hours
Cook time: 15 minutes
Serves: 8-10
Cost: approx. $3.50

4 cups Irish oats ($1.50)
5 cups milk ($2.00)
vanilla
cinnamon

Mix 4 cups of Irish oats in 5 cups of milk. Cover and let soak overnight in fridge.

In heavy saucepan bring oats, milk, 2 tsp. vanilla to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer 10 minutes or until oats have softened stirring often. Add in 1/4-1/2 cup brown sugar and simmer 5 more minutes. Sprinkle with cinnamon and serve.

3 comments:

April@Crafty*Nesty*Thrifty said...

I am enjoying your blog for I am need of learning how to make my food budget stretch even more, since I have recently left my outside job. I found you through your comment you left on my blog, I am so glad you stopped by. Talk to you again, April.

Unknown said...

So were the better that "American" oats?

Mr. Bird said...

Sniz, they are not better, but just different. Smaller sized oats with kind of a nutty flavor. It's a nice change from the Quaker Oats guy.