Saturday, May 17, 2008

Meatloaf on the fly

I make a basic meatloaf.

2 pounds ground beef, 1/4 cup ketchup, diced onion, 1-2 eggs, some oatmeal to make it stick together. I usually make a large batch and freeze it raw in a Ziploc bag. I pull it out in the morning to thaw and cook for dinner.

Meatloaf takes entirely too long to cook in my opinion. How can one tell when it is done because it is so big and thick? Then when it is sliced it all crumbles to pieces anyway. And there is never enough ketchup glaze on top to suite anyone.

My solution? I separate the raw meat into 2 muffin tins, brush each with the glaze (or just squirt directly with ketchup) and bake at 350 for about 20 minutes. Done.

My mom saw me doing this tonight and laughed her head off. Doesn't everyone make meatloaf this way?

Ketchup glaze (It's so good you'll never use just ketchup again.)

1 cup ketchup
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp dry mustard

2 comments:

Donna(mom24boyz) said...

YOur meatloaf receipe sounds very similar to mine--except for the glaze--I will have to try that. I saw (on someones blog) pictures of them making their meatloaf in muffing tins. They actually cooked there and froze them ahead of time. I thought that was a cool idea for those nights you just dont have time to cook

Boils some potatoes, heat up the meatloaf, add some veggies and you have a very quick dinner.

Tammy said...

Meatloaf in a muffin tin!!! I am totally trying that the next time I make meatloaf. Maybe the kids will eat it with this delish glaze. I think I'll make meatloaf on Monday as a matter a fact!