Tuesday, August 26, 2008

French Toast Casserole

This has all the goodness of cinnamon rolls without all of the work. When we are low on groceries we always have the ingredients for this favorite breakfast treat. This is also a great way to use the heels of bread. Store them in the freezer until ready to use. Enjoy!

Serves: 12-16
Prep Time: 5 minutes (overnight in fridge)
Cook time: 45 minutes
Cost: Approx. $2.50

1/2 cup brown sugar ($.25)
1/2 cup melted butter ($.50)
4 Tbsp cinnamon
8-10 eggs ($1.00)
3/4 cup milk
dash of salt
10-12 slices of bread ($.75)


In the bottom of a 9x13 pan mix brown sugar, cinnamon and butter. Next, place bread in layers. Top with egg, milk, salt mixture. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

In morning bake uncovered in 350 degree oven for 45 minutes.

6 comments:

Michelle said...

I make this on Saturday nights for Sunday mornings. I've never thought about how cheap this is. And it goes for about 2 meals for our family. I try to top it with some fruit though....which takes longer to make.

Another really good one is baked oatmeal. Ever tried it?

Pheobie said...

This sounds right up my alley! I can't wait to give it a try.

Gayle said...

We have this recipe too but I've never done a cost breakdown. That is amazing!

Halfmoon Girl said...

yum. I have made this before as well, but hadn't realized how economical it was.

Our neck of the woods said...

This sounds wonderful for Sunday breakfast.

Ruth said...

Oh that sounds great! I can't believe how cheap it is! Do you need to leave it in the fridge overnight?