Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Am I Crazy?



I've REALLY been enjoying not being in the kitchen this summer as much as usual. I've been able to cook for a month both for June and July. I'm actually considering cooking for August, September and October all in all shot. I've never freezer cooked at this level. Here's my thought process:

Pros:

  • Homeschooling would be less overwhelming (We are starting Aug. 9) if dinner was already made.
  • Volleyball season will be starting soon. Having food made means less eating out.
  • Grocery shopping time would be reduced and hopefully the miscellaneous spending that usually happens
  • Less dishes to do each day
  • I'd be more likely to exercise in the evenings if I didn't have big kitchen clean up
  • I could have the girls help me more if they didn't have school work and other activities to do.
Cons:
  • It's going to take some financial savy. Might have to borrow from savings to come up with that amount of money. (Or maybe this will encourage me to sell off some books.)
  • It's going to have to happen during our last week of summer before school. Not so relaxing.
  • It's seems a bit overwhelming right now. That's about 90 meals!
  • I'd have to get really organized and clean out the freezer first.

What are your thoughts? Have any of you freezer cooked to this extent? Am I just crazy to even consider it?

4 comments:

Saralyn said...

You go, girl! Are you doing it all by yourself or with friends? I need to freezer-cook, too, for the same reasons, but I think 90 meals is beyond me. How are you planning variety so you don't get bored with the same meals all the time?

Catherine said...

I would love, love, love to have you post on how you're going to choose the meals, buy the ingredients, prep and store the meals etc. My freezer cooking goes in fits and starts, but I would really like to have lots of meals on hand. I know it's a lot of extra time out for you to blog about it, but I for one am really intrigued!

angela said...

It is a mighty big task! But if you have already done it on a smaller level, it may not be so overwhelming. Something interesting I saw just today was a "professional kitchen" that you can rent out... now if you got a few friends to go in with you and you all chose "x" number of dishes to make - maybe it would be great friendship building plus a whole lot of meals, with not quite as many of the "cons" to fall all on your shoulders. If I were close, I would be game!

Extraordinary Ordinary Life said...

I have been cooking 2 months at a time for most of this year and I love it except when the time comes to cook 2 months at a time. But really I would say go for it! And post your menus and progress. It is inspiring!