Monday, October 24, 2011

Stove Top Granola


I love granola, but I refuse to buy it because I can't justify spending that much money for some fancy oats. Though I've made it successfully in the past, I always run into the problem of burning it in the oven. Not good. So I've been experimenting and combining some recipes to solve this inevitable problem. I've created a granola recipe that is super quick and burn proof. With some decorative packaging, I think this would make an original and healthy treat for teachers and friends this year.

Prep Time: 3 minutes
Cook Time: 3-5 minutes
Yields: 12 servings (1/3 cup each)
Cost: approx. $2.00

4 1/2 cups rolled oats ($.25- from salvage store)
2 Tbsp. olive oil ($.25)
1/4 cup butter ($.25)
1/2 cup honey ($.50)
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon (optional)

Set oven to 400 degrees. When preheated turn off.
Heat oil in skillet. Add oats and toast stirring often. When oats turn golden brown remove from heat. Melt butter. Add honey and vanilla. Cook and stir until bubbly. Add honey mixture to toasted oats and incorporate well. Spread granola onto large baking sheet lined with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Place in heated oven for one hour. When cooled add dried fruits, nuts as desired and store in an airtight container.

** For peanut butter granola, add 3 Tbsp of peanut butter to melted butter along with the honey.**


No comments: