Monday, September 8, 2008

Banana Bran Muffins


I'm trying to come up with a morning snack to keep the kid's brains functioning before lunch. Somehow productivity slows at about 10:30. It needs to be filling, healthy and of little cost. I bought 48 granola bars for about $9.00. I thought that was a good deal, but I've think I've found something better. Here's what we are trying this week.

Prep time: 15 minutes
Bake time: 15 minutes
Yield: 54 muffins
Cost: Approx. $4.00


1 16 oz box bran flakes ($2.00)
2 cups sugar ($.50)
5 cups flour ($.50)
2 tsp salt
5 tsp baking soda
5 tsp cinnamon
4 cups skim milk
4 eggs ($.50)
1/4 cup butter melted ($.25)
2 ripe bananas ($.25)

Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add in wet ingredients. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.

3 comments:

Duckygirl said...

Wow! That's a lot of muffins...and cheap!! I think I'm going to have to make these.

-Laura

(BTW do they really turn out better with a little *smooching* of the bananas? hehee)

Unknown said...

I want to try this. I need a cheap breakfast idea that's not cereal!

snbjork said...

These were so yummy! I made them on Sunday morning before church. I was impressed with how filling they were, too. Thanks for the great recipe!