Monday, September 15, 2008

Rasberry Pretzel Salad

This is a dessert with a perfect blend of salty and sweet. It's a welcomed change from the super sweet and rich desserts. Usually we make this with strawberries, but the raspberries we picked were substituted here. This year it served as Sean's birthday cake.

Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Serves 16-20
Cost: Approx. $4.25

2 cups pretzels ($.25)
1/2 cup melted butter ($.50)
1 block lite cream cheese ($1.00)
1/2 cup sugar
1 small container whipped cream ($1.00)
2 small packages raspberry jello ($1.00)
2 cups frozen raspberries ($.50)

Crush pretzel and mix with 2 Tsp. sugar and melted butter. Press into bottom of 9x13 pan and bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Set aside to cool.

Blend cream cheese and 1/2 cup sugar. Fold in whipped cream and chill.

Mix 2 cups hot water with jello. Add 1 cup cold water and frozen fruit. Place in refrigerator until jello begins to set. This may take up to 1/2 hour.

When ready place cream cheese mixture over pretzel crust. Top with jello and fruit. Chill until ready to serve.

3 comments:

Saralyn said...

I forgot about this wonderful favorite. My mother used to take it to Sunday evening potlucks when I was a kid. I'm going to have four extra kidlets over this coming weekend; this should be a hit!

Katy said...

I made this for a potluck the other day with strawberries. I prefer raspberries but this was cheaper!

snbjork said...

Yum! I love this recipe. It's become a Thanksgiving favorite in my family (made with strawberries). I had never even heard of it until I married my husband and his Mom made it.