Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Utter Disaster #1

So I have this strange grain called Quinoa which I was intent on using. "What is Quinoa?" you may ask. I did as well and found out that it is the mother of all grains. So I found a recipe for Quinoa Mushroom chowder. We love mushroom so I was certain that it was a sure thing.

Well, not so much. In the words of my family:

Joseph: "I don't think I like baby food." (This was before he had taken a bite.)

Miriam: "Um... it tastes like coffee."

Sean: "I only ate it to prove that it was humanly possible."

Me: Well I actually had a few bites and then poured mine in Lydia's bowl when I thought no one was looking:)

They were troopers and each took their required bites per age, though I think some of those bites were minute. Of course, baby John ate all his. Maybe that's because he likes baby food:)

I'll spare you the recipe.

6 comments:

Cindy-Still His Girl said...

You crack me up. I am still laughing two minutes later. :)

Alaina said...

:) - too funny. You sent some here and I'm hoping to try it soon! I saw a recipe (maybe a salad? - I can't remember) in one of my recent cooking magazines that I'm going to try. I'll let you know if it turns out. :)

Sarah said...

Too bad it wasn't very good. All the comments were hilarious, but especially Sean's! Just to prove a point... that sounds like something Bill would do. I know you've mentioned allrecipes in the past. I've used it a lot and found a lot of very good recipes there.

Lura said...

Bites per age. I'm going to have to remember that!

vicvic said...

Oh, I can't stand quinoa unless toasted. I once bought 25 lbs. of it and had to figure out ways to use the stuff up. My family was OKAY with the spirally tail coming off of the cooked grains, but I hated it. I do, however, love the flavor of it toasted. You can sprinkle it on salads, and it tastes better cooked, too. I prefer rolled quinoa, toasted, but it's hard to find. Once I even made crackers with ground, toasted quinoa. They tasted peanutty!

Anonymous said...

Did you wash the quinoa before you cooked it? It has a bitter coating on it that has to be washed off before it is cooked. My family likes it in place of rice. Just cook it like you would rice. I like to use chicken broth as the liquid.