Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Oatmeal Applesauce Cake

I'm always looking for a cake that require icing. It's great for special occasions, but for a mid week desert I'd rather have this cake with a cup of hot tea. It's seems much more like comfort food that way.

Prep Time: 5-10 minutes
Bake Time: 40 minutes
Serves: 12
Cost: Approx. $1.00

1/2 cup butter softened ($.50)
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup water
1 1/2 cup applesauce ($.50)
1 1/2 cup flour
1 1/2 cup rolled oats ($.25)
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon

Cream butter with sugar. Add eggs, applesauce and water and beat well. Add dry ingredients and incorporate well. Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes or until it tests done.

**This recipe along with many others can be found at Grocery Gathering's Friday Recipe Swap**

6 comments:

Heather L. said...

This sounds great! i bet I could use whole wheat flour too! I think I'll see if Rachel wants to make it soon.

Anonymous said...

Yummo, sounds like it would be great with hot tea, or even coffee.

Monica said...

Mmmmm...Right up my alley.

SnoWhite said...

num. i love both oatmeal and applesauce!

Erica said...

This sounds great! I can't wait to try it.

Mel said...

This sounds great! I was just trying to come up with something like this for snacks. Do you think quick oats would work? Thanks!