Thursday, March 12, 2009

Porcupine Meatballs

I remember my mom making this dish and just loving it as a little girl. It's one of my favorite! I've never met a kid who didn't gobble it down.

Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Serves: 8-10
Cost:

2 pounds ground beef ($4.50)
1 1/2 cups of white rice uncooked ($.25)
1 onion finely chopped ($.25)
2 cans of tomato soup ($.75)
1/2 cup hot water
Worcestershire sauce
Pepper

Combine well the raw meat, rice, onion, pepper and 1 can of tomato soup. Form into meatballs and place into muffin tins. Bake at 350 for about 10 minutes or until meatballs begin to firm. (I had the worst time cooking the raw meatballs in the skillet without them burning or falling to pieces. This little trick actually allows me time to step away from the stove.)

Meanwhile, mix a can of tomato soup with hot water and Worcestershire sauce to taste. Place meatballs in a deep skillet, cover with sauce and heat on medium for 15-20 minutes.

Serve over white rice.

**I usually make this meal in bulk portions for the freezer. Simply place completed meal in a baking dish and cover well for freezing. When ready to eat, thaw at room temperature. Baked covered at 350 until warmed through. I often keep some tomato soup on hand to add a little extra sauce if needed.**

4 comments:

snbjork said...

This is one of those dishes that I've been meaning to make for a long time. My Mom used to make these, too, and I just loved them! Thanks for the reminder.

Anonymous said...

OMG My Mom made these for us when we were growing up and I still make them today and I am 66 years old

Anonymous said...

I had these as a child (82 now) but we did them in the pressure cooker..recipe in original Presto cookbook I still have. ill have to make them soon.

Anonymous said...

My mom used to make these and it was my favorite dish of all. I continued it on and still make it. Yes we used the pressure cooker too.