Monday, April 13, 2009

Tip of the Week

Today I was dealing with 20 pounds of beef and preparing it for the freezer. Wanting the put together some meatloaf, but not really wanting to deal with the mess I had a flash of genius. There's nothing worse than having my hands in frigid raw meat and then having to answer the phone or rescue a child in need or answer the door. It happens every time.

I just threw in all the ingredients into a large Ziploc bag, sealed it well and mixed the ingredients without ever even touching the raw meat! When it's time to make these mini meatloaves, I'll just thaw in the fridge and then scoop out the mixture with a large scoop right into the muffin tins. Couldn't be easier or any less messy:)

1 comment:

SentimentsbyDenise said...

Sounds like a great plan! A friend told me years ago that a good way to mix the meat mixture together was to use a hand mixer. It works very well and the only time you have to touch the meat is after it's all mixed - forming it into loaves.
Another tip (though I really like your mini loaves idea!) is when using 2+ pounds of meat, after it's mixed, separate into 2 or 3 smaller loaves and cook in a 13 x 9 pan. The meat cooks better that way.