Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Servings: 8 -10
Cost: approx. $3.25
1 cup chopped onion ($.50)
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 cup dried lentils ($.50)
2 cups water
2 cups broccoli florets (fresh or frozen) ($.75)
1/2 can stewed tomatoes drained and chopped ($.25)
5 eggs, beaten ($.50)
1 cup milk ($.25)
1 teaspoon salt
ground black pepper to taste
2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (optional) ($.50)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
3. Place the lentils and water into a saucepan, and bring to a boil. Cook for about 20 minutes, or until lentils are tender. Drain most of the water off, then place the broccoli florets on top of the lentils. Cover and cook for about 5 minutes.
4. Transfer the lentils, broccoli and tomatoes to the pie plate with the onions, and stir. Stir cheese in at this time if using.
5. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning. Pour over the ingredients in a 10 inch pie plate.
6. Bake for 45 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the center is firm. Cool for a few minutes before slicing and serving.
The verdict is in...
9 Thumbs up, 0 Thumbs down.
Everyone ate it without complaints. According to Hannah, "The beans weren't so bad this time since there were only a few."