Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Chicken Pot Pie Made Easy

When invited over for Sunday dinner at my friend's house, I was curious as to what she would serve our family of nine and her family of 12. We arrived and she already had a big pot heating on the stove and lots of biscuits in the oven. Since then I've served this to large groups from a crockpot to save the worry over scorching the whole thing. This is best made with whatever you have on hand. I often save back about a 1/2 cup of any frozen vegetable from a bag just for this very thing. Also this is a great way to use leftover turkey or roast.

Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Serves: 8-12
Cost: Approx. $7.50

3 chicken breasts ($2.50)
2 cans of cream soup ($1.00) I prefer cream of chicken or potato
1-2 cups broth ($.25)
1 diced onion ($.25)
1 Tbsp butter
1/4-1/2 cup of any fresh vegetable finely chopped ( today I used carrots, celery)
1/4-1/2 cup of any frozen or canned vegetable (today I used corn and peas)
2 cans of big biscuits ($2.50) or make your own for lots less

Boil chicken breast while cooking onion and fresh vegetables in butter. When vegetables are still slightly firm add cream soups and broth and heat through. Dice meat and add to mixture. Add canned or frozen veggies and heat 10 minutes more on low heat or place in crock pot. Serve over split biscuits.

Make twice as much and bag it for the freezer. It reheats nicely.

5 comments:

Catherine said...

Looks yummy!

When I first read the part where you break it down by price, for some reason I read "big biscuits" as "DOG biscuits" and I was like, "wow, that is REALLY frugal." :)

Saralyn said...

Oh, yum-o. Comfort food! I never thought of using cream of potato, but am going to give this a whirl next week. Thanks!

Andrea said...

Thank you, sounds good.

Amanda T said...

We love chicken pot pie! This recipe sounds even better than our old one.

Marianna said...

I just found your blog and love that you list prices. Thank you! That is something I've tried to do more of now that I'm trying to be more frugal.